Today, it was time to filter and bottle a big batch of gentian tincture. As you may remember, my tincture process is to macerate for 3 weeks at 190 proof, then dilute to 120 proof and macerate for 1 more week. With every tincture, I find that the liquid turns cloudy when I dilute it. This makes...
Yesterday, after finishing off my first bottle, it was time to make a new batch of red wine-based vermouth. While I did like the first batch, there were a few major changes in order. First, as the title suggests, I realized that the last batch really wasn't vermouth. I decided to embrace that f...
Here are a few "corrections" offered for the names of single malt scotches. I think this may become a new regular feature on the blog.
Ok, fairly straight forward...
- 2 oz Scotch
- 1/2 oz Drambuie
- 1/2 oz Cynar
- dash Amer Picon
Homemade ingredients: Amer DeHainaut, Drambuie
I omitted Peach Bitters from the drink, since I don't have any. The recipe (from Kindred Cocktails) also suggests Macallan 12, which I'm not quite prepared to mix on a weeknight. To...
Tonight I tried my hand at making some simple honey and Scotch based liqueurs. I made two very small experimental batches. One is an attempt to make something pretty similar to Drambuie. The other is meant to be almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Drambuie.
- 3 oz Scotch
- 3 oz...